Monday, March 16, 2009

Another Day

Today was another day. Another day of being alive and young and possessed of my physical strength, my mental faculties and my health. And so, it was a great day.

I attended the memorial service of a friend, Scott, today. Scott tragically went missing in a Japanese ski resort in late February. He has still not been located; indeed, no evidence has been turned up, whatsoever. Scott's disappearance at age 27 is a great loss for those close to him but also to the world. Scott served his dreams with an inspiringly impressive vigour and energy. He was an accomplished fellow. I particularly admired the way he was "intense to live" - the way he really gripped on to every minute and pushed himself - driven by an inner tenacity and love for life. And so, despite the very premature and saddening loss, Scott's was a life well lived. His life and passing reminds all of us young, capable people, that we must savour every moment and "live them out", with passionate immediacy.

This is my first formal blog. I started one on myspace when I was working in music and the format was hot, a few years ago. But this one I intend to commit to. I hope to write about a range of things and keep it interesting. Writing has been a lifelong passion but now it is a career as well - which is very exciting.

I have titled this blog "the Lake District" - for now. I want to start a website with this same moniker, which may serve as a melting pot / online collaboration place for writers and artists. It borrows from the so called "Lake District" in England - a beautiful area which was home to the "lake poets" for several years - Wordsworth, Coleridge and Southey - who were connected to the Romantic Movement at the turn of the 19th Century. Incidentally, they are among my favourites... I hope to one day visit the Lake District and regard its splendour over a drink with my old mucker, Professor Darryl E. Frame...

Thank you for reading.

1 comment:

  1. But it's never just one drink is it? One's just never enough.

    ReplyDelete