Saturday, August 22, 2009

Mum turns 50



My mum will turn 50 on Wednesday. In light of this, I thought I would dedicate this blog to her.

She is a bit of a wonderwoman my mum.

Generous, caring, intelligent, hardworking and giving to her family and those that come into her life - in an immense way. I owe her so much I feel like the "life debt" equivalent of Bernie Madoff...

We had a dinner party for mum last Fri night with family and wonderful friends. I gave a toast at that, so rather than try and write too much of something new, I have cut and pasted the notes I made for that toast... (If only for the reason that I found writing any notes about mum difficult in the first place). Like most of the speeches / addresses I have given in my life, this was bashed out at the 11th hour, in the half an hour before the party.

Words will always be insufficient in some contexts though (like these). Suffice to say I love my mum a great deal and think I struck absolute gold to be born to a mum such as mine. I hope I get to have her around for at least another 50.


A Toast to Mum

It’s a pleasure to be able to say a few words about mum on behalf of my brothers Andy and Robert.

Though I must preface by saying that it’s really hard to reduce to words the feelings I guess we all have towards our mums. It should be the easiest thing in the world but words like “grateful” really don’t cut it.

So despite staring into space for a long while thinking about words I could use to pay tribute to my mum, I will say just a few things.

Andy, Robert and I know we have a pretty amazing, special and unique mum.

And that knowledge is consistently affirmed by the many other people who know mum, many of whom are in the room tonight, who feel the same way about her, and regularly make comment to us about her.

In fact I have been receiving comments about mum my whole life.

I vividly recall the follow up from mum’s occasional visits to school to drop off a forgotten lunch, hat or shoe as the case may be, and being queried by students, and teachers, alike - right up until I left school in fact - as to whether mum was really my mum or my sister. When I gave them the answer this was invariably followed by a look of astonishment and various exclamations...

But mum’s youthful appearance has more to do with her genes than an easy lifestyle. Mum has an incredible work ethic and has achieved an enormous amount in her career, of which we as her sons are immensely proud. She has provided a great example in giving something your best.

What is most significant about Mum’s tireless efforts of course is that it has been selfless, in the name of giving the three of us every opportunity in life. She did from a young age, stress balance – the need to work hard and play hard and try not to mix the two – sage counsel – although she herself does not take as much time as she should, for herself.

One of the first things you notice about Mum is that she is a bit of a force of nature. She does move around the world - at pace.

Another thing that immediately strikes you about mum is her personality. Mum is a happy person, a vibrant and caring person and she immediately lifts a room and peoples spirits, just by being present.

Whether or not it is the country girl hangover or not, mum is forthcoming and conversational with everyone. And I mean everyone. She can start a topic with any person – and I mean, any person. And the conversation could go for hours. And I mean hours.

But as we know, this is one of mum’s charming qualities and she is without question immensely popular with many people, old and young, rich and poor, because of it.

Being a clean living, highly moral and modest person, there really are not too many dark secrets to drag out on a night like this. Mum does of course, have one or two quirks of character. Subtle quirks. I will list these in alphabetical order.

A.

No I won’t do that…

Mums flaws and quirks are in fact strengths.

She is an intense worrier about everyone and everything. Which simply reveals the fact that she cares about others. She is a sensitive person.

She is a prolific talker. I may have alluded to this earlier. As I have mentioned though, mum has a tremendous personality which is a reflection of a tremendous mind.

She is an incessant tea drinker. A plantation a year at least. I’m not sure what the redeeming feature of this vice is, but anti-oxidants spring to mind.

She also has one of the most prodigious collections of self-help books I have every encountered.
Which can only mean that she is closing in on complete enlightenment…

Really though mum, in the eyes of Andy, Rob and I you are flawless.

I once heard someone remark that people can choose to live their lives either as creators of opportunities for themselves and others and creators of happiness; or, as conquerors, people who diminish and dominate.

By this definition, mum is one of the great creative people I know. Always thinking of others – empathetic to the needs and feelings of those around her and exceptionally generous. Mum’s personal indulgences are very few - but I do hope she can enjoy a few more of these in the coming years.

None of the traditional clichés about turning 50 apply to you mum. You are young at heart, young in mind and in body. And I know that the best years are ahead.

Andy, Robert and I love you dearly and cannot thank you enough for everything you’ve done for us – and we wish you every happiness on this birthday.

Robert, in his absence, has also wanted to make the statement that he sincerely apologises for not being born of the fairer sex. He knows how much you wanted a daughter. He did say though that he will do his best to produce a daughter you can look after in retirement…

I would like to propose a toast – to you Mum and to the wonderful life you’ve lived so far and to the years ahead.

“To Christine”





No comments:

Post a Comment