Thursday, October 8, 2009

End of an Era? Definitely Maybe.


One of the first groups I got into as a pre-pubescent 12 year old, was Oasis. It fell somewhere between the outro of the “Definitely Maybe” album and the curtain call for “What’s the Story Moring Glory” – which really broke, in Australia, in 1996 - my first year in high school.

I was a big fan. Oasis was mega in 1996. It was almost a cliché, of course, to be a fan of Oasis in 1996...

Run forward several years and I find myself working with a band called “Royal Engineers”, which some of my good friends have formed. Great musicians and artists. They had an “oasis like” sound - which they got criticised for , frequently (and unreasonably, in my opinion).

Big, swarming guitars. Psychedelic in parts. And the rock n roll lifestyle and ethos to match… They were one of the better and more important rock bands to arrive in the Brisbane music scene circa 2004 / 2005 – without a doubt (in my biased view).

We listened to Oasis a lot through those lively years, too, of course…

The other week I heard Noel left Oasis and they broke up. Oasis have been producing awesome rock n roll (and great music for that matter), for a good while. I suppose it was time. I guess the natural thought is that Noel will come into his own and Liam may suffer. But who knows...

The important thing is the band's musical legacy - some great, GREAT, rock n roll.

I saw them in 2005, with some of the Royal Engineers, in fact. It was a very fun night.
“Definitely Maybe” is still one album I play all the time.

If I ever need a “lift” before a night out or something, I'll drop on “Definitely Maybe”. I'm still mad fer it.

No comments:

Post a Comment